Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Women


The Women
This is one of a series of small portfolios taken from my January, 2005 shoot in Bangladesh.
These photographs will form part of a gallery exhibition in Toronto in March, 2005,
together with a collector's print portfolio, which will be made available at that time.

I selected these three photographs for use here before thinking about what I wanted to say about them. What I realized then was that in each one the woman's faces are either obscured, or turned away.

This wasn't intentional, and I certainly took quite a few straightforward photographs of woman's faces while in Bangladesh. I also found that everyone there, including woman, were quite open to having their photographs taken. More often than not it was hard to prevent them from smiling or waving, rather than have them put off by being the subject of one of my candid moments.

So why did I select these three images?

I think because of their enigmatic character. In each of these photographs we are presented with a bit of a mystery. Who are these people? What are they doing? And, why? It's that characteristic that can make photographs of people most appealing, and I've explored this aspect of photographing people here on

1 comment: